Plaques are build up stains that form on the teeth, along the gumline. If you have observed a brownish or yellowish stain on your child’s teeth, that is stubborn to get rid of, then it is not a good sign as it can lead to tartar, which is a more serious dental stain that can cause an intense oral problem in a short period.
When plaques bond strongly to the teeth, they become tartars, also known as calculus, which are yellowy and cement-like substances, which are normally crusty and rough. It can form both below and above the gumline of your child’s teeth. It may not be painful but can produce a very bad smell.
However, several procedures can be carried out under an effective plaque cleaning in children, such as dental scaling, flossing, and some home remedies like baking soda and oil pulling can also be helpful. The following are plaque cleaning procedures:
Brush And Floss Procedures
The filmy substance on your child’s teeth can be removed through electric brushing. It may not be easy to see an immaculately clean tooth if you leave your child to brush alone. Without supervision, your child will end up with yellowish color stains on the teeth as a result of poor oral care practice.
Nevertheless, the problem can be corrected if your child is provided extra care. The filmy substances produced by the combination of bacteria and acid in the mouth can be removed gradually through electric brushing.
It may take a while, but consistency will be required if you do not want the gum and teeth of your child to be damaged. A regular brush cannot get rid of plaque as effectively as an electric brush. Therefore, brush your child’s teeth twice daily, using this plaque removing technique, and there will be a lot of changes.
Flossing can also remove plaque build-up as it helps in loosening the food particles, resting in the tight areas of the teeth that the bristles from your child’s toothbrush could not penetrate. You can use the two procedures hand in hand to remove plaque from your toddler’s teeth. First, help your child floss the teeth immediately after having any meal, especially if the meal was sticky or rich in fibers, as these can easily find their way into the tiny spaces in between teeth. After flossing, assist them with brushing their teeth with an electric toothbrush.
The following are flossing and brushing procedures to remove plaque from your child’s teeth.
- Obtain an 18 inches floss thread and twirl them around your middle fingers
- Firmly hold the thread and push in the floss between two of your child’s teeth.
- Give a gentle up and down movement, pressing the floss against your child’s gumline. Make sure you do not snap or jerk the floss thread during the process.
- Repeat the process for the remaining teeth. Teach your older children to do it by themselves.
- After flossing, brushing should follow immediately.
- Apply a pea-sized amount of toothpaste containing Flouride on their toothbrush.
- Hold it an angle away from the gum of your child.
- Brushing should be upward and downward at the front teeth and back and forth movement as you approach the back teeth.
- For the inside of the front teeth, tilt the brush vertically and give that area some up and down moves.
- Do not omit the child’s tongue. Brush the tongue with a soft-bristled toothbrush.
Scaling And Root Planning Procedure
Scaling is also known as a non-surgical tooth cleaning. Your child can also be provided with this kind of plaque cleaning procedure at a dental clinic. This cleaning can be carried out by a dentist, who will be using a tooth cleaning instrument known as ultrasonic cleaning apparatus.
This device can remove plaque and tartars hidden under your child’s gum-line, the root, and the tooth. A pediatric dentist can get rid of plaque from your child’s teeth using the scaling technique as follows:
- The dentist will obtain a sharp scaling tool or a scaler to scrape off tartars bound to the teeth.
- The dentist extends the scraping below your child’s gumline.
- An electronic scaler is used in severe plaque build-up.
- The teeth will be polished after plaque has been completely removed.
Teeth polishing is done to prevent further plaque buildups on your child’s teeth. Your child will not feel any pain during this process. Dental scaling smoothens the teeth, while tooth polishing removes the stain from the surface of the teeth.
This is a home remedy for removing plaque build-up from your child’s teeth. Two kinds of oil can go well with this process. The swishing oil process involves coconut oil or olive oil.
When you give any of these oils to your child, to swish around the mouth, it will prevent tooth decay, give strength to the teeth, heal sore gums and remove dental plaque. The following procedures should be considered when using this plaque removing technique:
- Assist your child to swish about a spoonful of olive or coconut oil
- Allow the oil to remain in the mouth for about 20 to 30 minutes, longer than gaggling with regular mouthwashes
- After 30 minutes, your child can spit it out and brush afterward
This procedure will not just work immediately. Until you are intentional and consistent, there may be no plaque pulling. You can trust the procedure to be effective because coconut oil contains Lauric acids, a fatty substance with an antimicrobial and inflammatory significance.
Aside from the teeth looking unpleasant, children with plaque build-up can suffer periodontal diseases that can be painful to bear. When plaque is ignored for a while, the gum begins to deteriorate, leading to inflammation and bleeding. This can cause tooth loss and may be difficult to manage.
If you have noticed plaque signs in your youngster, contact a dental hygienist near you, and get the best treatment to remove the plaque as soon as possible. You should also guide your child to proper oral habits.